One of the craziest canoe/kayak races in Texas.
The Houston Canoe Club has traditionally provided much of the on-the-water safety support for this regatta. I am leading the safety fleet on the day of the event, and the miles paddled will accumulate to club miles for purposes of the annual mileage awards.
Please note that safety boats DO NOT PAY THE ENTRY FEE unless you intentionally want to personally support the Buffalo Bayou Partnership.
DO NOT register on the Buffalo Bayou Partnership web site.
Use the "Register" button on this page, and follow directions from me that I will send you in separate emails.
This is how it I'm thinking of setting it up on race day:
1. Meet at our Briar Bend Park put-in location at 6:30 AM and unload your boat.
2. Leave one person to guard the boats (his vehicle will stay there unless a carpool leaves us with an extra person). He will thoroughly prep his boat while we are gone.
3. Drive to the Spaghetti Factory parking lot and park all but one vehicle.
4. Drive to the start location at 7700 W San Felipe (just west of Voss)
5. Go the the garage there and find the table that has "Safety" in the signage
6. Register, sign the waiver, get a safety sticker (if they have them)
7. Get your goodies (bag, T-shirt, wrist band, coffee, food and water)
8. Pick up several extra water bottles to pass out during the race
9. Drive back to our put-in location (upstream from the starting line)
10. Prep vessels for action while our guard goes and does steps 4 through 9.
Safety boats launch 10 minutes before their assigned heat to be positioned for their start