Those in attendance are Bob Naegar, Harmon Everett, Terry Herdlicka, Frank Ohrt, Natalie Wiest, John Rich, Fran Wilcox and Honey Leveen.
The meeting commenced at 7:34 PM.
1. Reel Film Festival -Natalie continued the discussion on the Reel Film Festival which is basically a rental of short films relating to our particular sport. She wants to use this opportunity to educate folks and promote kayaking. Breaking even would be acceptable as this would be a public service opportunity. The Board had several questions, suggestions and ideas.
a.) How much prior notice does our club need before committing to host this festival?
b.) What venue? – The Aurora, 18Q?
c.) How long would our event be? We pay for 1-time showing.
d.) Can we get HASK and ACK to partner with us?
All agreed that more fact finding is needed before presenting this to the membership.
2. Treasurer’s Report – Bob stated that we have 14 new members/renewals for last month. We will have approximately 20 members who will be getting the 100 Miler awards at the February meeting. All is good with the budget.
3. Membership Report – Terry reported that we have 1 new member – Gavin Brown from Ft. Worth and discussed that Robert Trout is having an issue with how to access his registration. Bob will assist with this issue.
4. Trip Report – Natalie discussed possibly tweaking the Trip Registration to look more like the design that HASK uses. This would make our sign up more transparent with names and perhaps avert potential issues with registration.
She also questioned as to whether HCC will allow non-members to register for trips? The club could pay for waivers on-line (which are approved by the ACA). Natalie and Harmon will be investigating this issue and meeting with a member from HASK who is familiar with this.
5. Program Report – Fran discussed at this month’s meeting will be Darrin Lewar who will be speaking about the Night Sky. Natalie will be speaking next month on “How to Run a Successful Trip”
6. Webmaster – Harmon has graciously agreed to act as Webmaster ProTem. Harmon had purchased a laptop for the club to use at the 50th Anniversary Events and is willing sell it to HCC for $250. Natalie made a motion to buy, Honey Leveen seconded the motion and all agreed to the purchase. Bob will send the check to Harmon.
7. Newsletter Report – John has completed uploading the final documents and Louis Aulbach will take these documents to Rice U. John discussed the fact that approximately 200 of the emails of our mailing database are blocked, trash, etc and are not being delivered. It may be time to clean up the out of date email addresses. John and Frank have also added new photos to the home page of the web site. There are no issues and everything is running smoothly.
8. Safety minute – Hypothermia – as it is winter and dangerous.
9. Sergeant-at-Arms – Honey is in search for a person with technical knowledge to fill this position ASAP.
Honey will be posting the club meeting notifications.