Skip to main content
  The Houston Canoe Club
Share our Joy of Paddling!








P.O. Box 925516
Houston, Texas
77292-5516



The Houston Canoe Club is a Paddle America Club


Link to ACA

Add Me To Your Mailing List
HomeNL-2001-03 Newsletter

HCC Newsletter
March, 2001



Newsletter, 609k Pdf document, click the image below: 
 
2001 Mar NL
 

 
Houston Canoe Club Officer’s Meeting
Meeting Minutes
March 6, 2001
 
The meeting was called to order by Commodore, Fraser Baker. Officers present included, Marilyn Peery, and Newsletter Editor, Donna Grimes. Members present were Cheryl Cleary, Fleet Captain Elect, Lillian Tigard, Vice Commodore Elect, and Jim Null, Rendezvous Chairman.

The minutes were approved as read.

Fraser recommended that the Rendezvous committee review the contract with DMG and then present it to the board.

Fraser will call Bob Scheffler and ask him to either come to the meetings or to resign his position as governor. It was suggested that, for the sake of continuity, the Commodore should become a governor when his or her term of office is over. Jim Null is working on revisions for the by-laws. It was suggested that an article in the April newsletter could help pave the way for upcoming changes. Jim will have a report on the changes next month.

Donna reported that there were 48 present at the Jan. meeting and 73 at the Feb. meeting. She will continue to keep track of attendance. The March program will feature Bob Foote and Karen Knight speaking on hyperthermia. Lillian will write an introduction to be included on the web site. Carl Elders of the Audubon Society will present the April program on birding. The board approved giving the Audubon Society a $50 honorarium for this program.

Fraser now has the key for the HCC PO Box. It is located at the Oak Forest Substation on East T C Jester at Judiway.

Donna Grimes was appointed chairperson of the New Member’s Committee. The committee will include Tracy Caldwell and Dana Enos who will be in charge of the new member’s table; Jim Berry who will send letters of welcome and packets; and Martha Williams who will compile and order new member supplies. The new member’s table will be in the back of the meeting room to cut down on noise in the hall. All members will enter through the door at the back of the room. It was suggested that we ask visitors and new members to sign in so the Commodore will have the list to introduce them as well as a record of who was present. It was also suggested that a “mentor” be appointed for each paddling discipline. The mentor would contact new members of their discipline about trips, perhaps help provide equipment, and answer questions. The mentors should be present at the 3 per year new member classes/paddles that are being planned. Donna would like to search the Rendezvous mailing list for area paddlers who are not HCC members and send invitations to join.
 
Official club stationery is needed. Donna will check prices.

Cheryl Cleary reported that Mary Carter will up-date trip information on the Hot Line. John Bartos will up-date the trip list on the web page. The March spotlight cruise is on Buffalo Bayou and the April one will be on Oyster Creek. Donna asked Cheryl Cleary and Lillian Tigard for bios for future newsletters.

Jim Null was approved as Chair of the 2001 Rendezvous. He announced that, due to a conflict with the TPWD Expo, the date has been changed to October 12-15. This will appear in the newsletter. Jim will handle the DMG contract and present it to Fraser.

The River Bottom Festival is March 10 which doesn’t give us enough time to organize a booth. It would be a good idea to have someone in charge of coordinating booths when one is requested.

Fraser would like to see HCC establish a Rivers Conservation Committee. It’s mission would be to represent and report to the HCC membership on Texas Rivers’ issues of significance to paddle sports, to promote and coordinate HCC representation on various conservation groups, to actively foster relations between the HCC and like-minded Conservation groups at large and to promote Conservation paddles. An article about this should appear in the newsletter. The meeting was adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Marilyn Peery, Recorder


 
Houston Canoe Club General Meeting
Meeting Minutes
March 14, 2001

The meeting was called to order by Commodore Fraser Baker. Officers present included Vice-Commodore Lillian Tigard , Recorder Marilyn Peery, Purser Candy Donahue, Newsletter Editor Donna Grimes, Fleet Captain Cheryl Clear and Govenor Mary Carter. Lillian and Cheryl were officially elected to their respective offices.

Bob Foote and Karen Knight presented an interesting and informative program on hypo and hyperthermia.

Visitors were introduced and welcomed. The minutes were read and approved. The fleet captain’s report was presented.

Candy presented the treasurer’s report. A motion carried to fund Rendezvous 2001 with $8,000 seed money for initial expenses. Dues are due and members who do not renew now will be removed from the newsletter mailing list.

Members were reminded of the change of dates for the Rendezvous this year. It will be the second weekend in October, not Columbus Day weekend.

A motion carried to establish a permanent new members committee. Donna Grimes will serve as chairman this year.

Fraser informed the club of various conservation and environmental issued and evens in the area. He suggested forming a committee to keep members informed on these issues. A conservation committee consisting of Tom Douglas, Mary Carter, John Bartos, Cheryl Cleary, Ann Dervy and Mark Andrus was appointed. They will decide how the committee will be organized.

Linda Gorski announced that Carolyn Boyd, a former HCC speaker, will be sponsoring three programs on Pecos Rock Art this year.

Fraser announced the following:
  • Letter from the Galveston Bay Foundation signed by Linda Shead expressing appreciation for renewing the HCC ‘s nonprofit organization membership for $100.
  • Letter from the Armand Bayou Nature Center signed by Lynn Shigekawa expressing appreciation to the Hulsebosch committee for $1,440 in support of their educational canoeing classes at the Armand Bayou Nature Center.
  • Presentation by Robert Kennedy, Jr., 8:00 PM Wednesday March 21 at Rice Memorial Center, Rice University. Topic is “A Contract with Our Future”.
  • Clear Creek Project: The corps of Engineers is reevaluating flood control measures for Clear Creek. Meeting is March l5th, Friendswood High School. HCC members are encouraged to visit the Corps’ website, www.clearcreekproject.com and express their opinions.
Respectfully submitted,
Marilyn Peery
Recorder