Blast from the Past
by John Rich
Ladies & Gentlemen:
I have continued to upload old HCC newsletters from the archive box, and with the completion this month of the year 1990, I now have 1980 through 1992 on the web site.
Some of the interesting things you'll discover in the 1990 through 1992 batch of old newsletters just added, are:
- Houston Mayor Kathy Whitmire proclaims one week in October as "Houston Canoe Club week", in honor of HCC's 25th anniversary.
- A proposed state law would mandate flotation devices in all boats over 16 feet in length.
- Austin passes an ordinance allowing the fire chief to ban use of waterways during periods of flooding.
- Plans for a barge canal across Caddo Lake.
- San Marcos River clean-up crew saves a disabled paddler pinned in a rapid.
- HCC builds a boat dock on Armand Bayou.
All this, and much more, is available for your reading pleasure.
Note that there are many missing months for 1991 and 1992. I don't know if there was no newsletter published in those months, or if there were issues published and they just aren't in the archive box I have. At any rate, they're missing. So if you have a copy of any of those missing months, please let me know. I'd like to copy them to make our newsletter collection as complete as possible.
Click the button link below to go see the documents - scroll down to the bottom of the Newsletter index list for the 1990's dates just loaded.
You don't have to go back a million years and fight dinosaurs like Raquel Welch. All you have to do is click a few buttons in the comfort of your home, to read what was happening three decades ago. Easy!
("One Million Years B.C.", Raquel Welch, 1966.)
Click the image to get a better look at Raquel.
and Raquel Welch fan,