Last Meeting Minutes
HOUSTON CANOE CLUB GENERAL MEETING
October 10th, 2012
Bayland Park Community Center
Recorder: John Berlinghoff
Joe Coker called the meeting to order.
Joe introduced the slate of officers for the next term and asked for nominations from the floor. Candidates included:
• Harmon Everett – Commodore
• Vice Commodore - Philip Matticks
• Boatswain – Honey Leveen
• Fleet Captain – Dave Kitson
• Purser – Robert Naeger
• Recorder- Tisha Matticks
Honey Leveen stated that we had one new member: Rich Erickson
Harmon Everett gave a financial; report. We have $4,800 in the checkbook, with the following remaining for the year: $500 expenses, Dues income $250, and $300 more for the IRS. Harmon will get the room for the Christmas party, most likely on Dec. 15th.
Harmon gave the Safety Moment where he discussed a death of a healthy 30-year old on the Texas Water Safari due to hyponatremia. The participant drank too much water and severely messed up his electrolytes. There was a discussion on this subject where it came out that Gatorade may not be enough to maintain your salt balance. Eat pretzels or something else with salt.
Joe wanted the club purposes posted on the website
John Bartos stated that Nancy Weiss sent a letter supporting funding for Armand Bayou. Cindy Bartos stated that the Brazos River group sent a report to the TCEQ with recommendations for water levels required for environmental flows
||Harmon with his
• The Matticks’ went through the marshes at Port Aransas.
• Paul Woodcock said that there were 50 people at Huntsville State Park.
• Christy Long gave out “I survived the 2012 Village Creek“ tokens to: Terri,
Joe, Chrisrty, Harmon & Sherri.
• Natalie Wiest did her Pelican Island trip.
• Dave Kitson did Old River & Greens Bayou.
• John Ohrt is planning a moonlight trip on Armand Bayou.
Our main presentation was Jim Robertson with the Cypress Creek Greenway Project who updated us on all the doings in the watershed including a myriad of groups doing projects to try and create a large and continuous greenbelt.
Jim Roberston, Cypress
Creek Greenway Project
|Recorder, John Berlinghoff